Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is an owner-builder?
An owner-builder is a person who carries out building work on his or her own land.
- What is a Certificate of Consent?
A Certificate of Consent is a written approval from the Building Practitioners Board that enables you to obtain a building permit and carry out domestic building work as an owner-builder on your own land.
- When do I need a Certificate of Consent?
A Certificate of Consent is required for domestic building works being carried out as an owner builder over the value of $12,000.
- I am registered with the Building Practitioners Board as a Domestic Builder, do I still need a Certificate of Consent?
A Certificate of Consent is not required if you are a registered commercial or domestic builder, registered demolisher with the Building Practitioners Board or a registered architect wih the Architects Registration Board of Victoria.
- Where can I get an Owner-builder Application Kit?
Request or download a copy of the from the Building Commission or Building Practitioners Board. Owner-builder Application Kits are also available from the Council officers, however please ensure that this is the current version before completing and submitting the form. Download a copy of the Application Checklist with the current application fees, being $87.28 (effective from 1 July 2012).
- Can I still use the Application Kit that I received 2 years ago?
The current version was revised in February 2012. The "Printed" date is located on the back cover and should read "Printed February 2012".
- Do I need a Certificate of Consent to build a factory as an owner builder?
A Certificate of Consent is required for domestic building works. Please consult your building surveyor to determine the classification of the building works before submitting your application.
- Do I need to be the owner of the property before I apply?
Yes, you are required to be the registered proprietor on title before submitting the application. A Contract of Sale or Transfer of Land documentation is not sufficient to verify ownership.
- How do I get a copy of a Certificate of Title/Register Search Statement for my property?
You may contact the Land Titles Office on (03) 8636 2456 or order your RegisterSearch Statement online www.land.vic.gov.au.
- How long would it take for my application to be processed?
Complete applications will be processed within two - three weeks of receipt. Processing times will vary where further information is required.
- How do I determine that the cost of the proposed building works?
You may check with your Building Surveyor if your estimated cost of the proposed building works is accurate. This is the cost if you were to engage a registered building practitioner and is to include the costs for all labour, materials and GST.